Lemnos Primary School is commited to the safety of all its students and adheres to Child Safe Policies and procedures.
What is Child Safe?
Victoria has introduced compulsory minimum standards for organisations that provide services for children to help protect children from abuse.
Children have the right to be safe and protected, including at school.
Registered schools and other child-related organisations have an important responsibility for keeping children safe. Most organisations already take steps to protect children from abuse.
The child safe standards strengthen existing approaches to preventing and responding to child abuse and aim to create a culture where protecting children from abuse is part of everyday thinking and practice.
Child abuse, and arrangements that allow it to occur, will not be tolerated. Victoria’s children deserve nothing less.
Child Safe Standards
The Child Safe Standards are compulsory minimum standards that apply to organisations that provide services for children in order to help protect children from abuse.
The Child Safe Standards are as follows:
In complying with the Child Safe Standards, an entity to which the Standards apply must include the following principles as part of each standard:
- promoting the cultural safety of Aboriginal children
- promoting the cultural safety of children from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds
- promoting the safety of children with a disability.
To create and maintain a child safe organisation, an entity to which the Standards apply must have:
- Standard 1: Strategies to embed an organisational culture of child safety, including through effective leadership arrangements
- Standard 2: A child safe policy or statement of commitment to child safety
- Standard 3: A code of conduct that establishes clear expectations for appropriate behaviour with children
- Standard 4: Screening, supervision, training and other human resources practices that reduce the risk of child abuse by new and existing personnel
- Standard 5: Processes for responding to and reporting suspected child abuse
- Standard 6: Strategies to identify and reduce or remove risks of child abuse
- Standard 7: Strategies to promote the participation and empowerment of children.
- Enquires about Child Safe at Lemnos Primary School should be directed to school staff and the Principal
- Enquiries about the child safe standards may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PROTECT (DET)
- Child Safe Standards (DHHS)
- Betrayal of Trust Implementation (DJR)
The Department of Health and Human Services website provides information about reporting concerns about a child’s safety to the Victoria Police and other agencies.