This policy was written to demonstrate the strong commitment of the whole community of Lemnos Primary School leaders, staff, volunteers, students and their families to child safety and to provide an outline of the policies and procedures developed to keep everyone safe from harm, including all forms of abuse.
- COMMITMENT TO CHILD SAFETY
All students enrolled, and any child visiting, have a right to feel safe and be safe. The wellbeing of children in our care will always be our first priority and we have zero tolerance to child abuse. We aim to create a child safe and child friendly environment where children feel safe and are free to enjoy life to the full without any concern for their safety.
- CHILDREN’S RIGHTS TO SAFETY AND PARTICIPATION
The staff and volunteers of Lemnos Primary School encourage students to express their views. We listen to their suggestions, especially on matters that directly affect them. We actively encourage all students to openly express their views and feel comfortable about giving voice to the things that are important to them.
We teach students about what they can do if they feel unsafe. We listen to and act on any concerns that students or their parents or carers raise with us.
- VALUING DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
We value and celebrate diversity, especially cultural diversity, and do not tolerate discriminatory practices. To achieve this we:
- promote the cultural safety, participation and empowerment of Aboriginal students and their families
- promote the cultural safety, participation and empowerment from culturally and/or linguistically diverse backgrounds (CALD) and their families
- promote the personal safety, participation and empowerment of students with a disability and make them feel welcome and part of all aspects of school life
- RECRUITING STAFF AND VOLUNTEERS
Lemnos Primary School will apply the most thorough and rigorous standards in the recruitment and screening of staff and volunteers. We interview and conduct referee checks on all staff and volunteers and require police checks and Working With Children Checks (WWCC) for all staff and volunteers. Our commitment to Child Safety and our screening requirements are included in all advertisements for staff and volunteer positions.
- SUPPORTING STAFF AND VOLUNTEERS
Lemnos Primary School provides support and supervision to all staff and volunteers so that people feel valued, respected, affirmed in their work and fairly treated. We have a Code of Conduct to provide guidance to our staff and volunteers, all of whom receive training on the requirements of the Code.
- REPORTING A CHILD SAFETY CONCERN OR COMPLAINT
Our school records any child safety complaints, disclosures or breaches of the Code of Conduct and stores the records in accordance with security and privacy requirements. Our complaints and disclosure processes are outlined and detailed in the following Lemnos Primary School Policies and Procedures
- Child Safe: Mandatory Reporting
This Child Safe Policy should be read in conjunction with the other policies and procedures of Lemnos Primary School concerned with Child Safety and Pastoral Wellbeing:
- Code of Conduct for Behaviour with Students
- Child Safe: Child Protection – Working With Children Checks
- Child Safe: Child Protection – Failure to Disclose
- Child Safe: Child Protection – Failure to Protect
- Child Safe: Child Protection – Grooming
The Principal has specific responsibility for responding to any complaints made by staff, volunteers, parents or students in relation to Child Safety.
- RISK MANAGEMENT
Risk management is an approach that minimises the potential for child abuse or harm to occur. In addition to our general Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) risks, we proactively manage risks of abuse and harm to our students.
- POLICY REVIEW
This policy is reviewed every three years and we undertake to seek feedback from students, parents, carers, staff and volunteers.
Initially Ratified: July 2016, June 2020
Next Review to be completed by: 2022